Newington next to Hythe, Kent

Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

NEWINGTON, next to Hythe, is a parish, two miles and a half N.E. from Hythe, three miles and a half N.W. from Folkstone, and 85 from London. The church of St. Michael is an old building. The living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Rev. J. Brockman. The population in 1851 was 499. Longford is half a mile east; Denton Pinch, half a mile N.E.; Pains, half a mile north; Beachborough, half a mile N.W., has a large park; Frogwell, half a mile west; Harpinge, or Arpinge, one mile and a half N.E.; Bargrove, one mile and a half S.W.; Dibgate, one mile south.

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newington like this:

NEWINGTON-NEXT-HYTHE, a village and a parish in Elham district, Kent. The village stands near the Southeastern railway, 2½ miles N E of Hythe, and 3½ W by N of Folkestone r. station; is a scattered place, amid romantic environs; and has a post-office, of the name of Newington, under Hythe. The parish extendsto the coast; and comprises 3, 134 acres of land, and 60 of water. Real property, £3, 150. Pop., 523. Houses, 94. Beachborough is the seat of T. Brockman, Esq. Asummer-house is on a hill adjoining Beachborough; isaccessible to strangers; and commands very fine and extensive views over land and sea. ...
A vantage-ground on the Downs, about a mile from the village, likewise commands a magnificent view over the marshes to Hastings. There are remains of ancient entrenchments; and Romancoins and pottery have been found The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Cheriton, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a lofty tower; and contains a font cased in carved oak, two brasses of 1501, and a brass of a man and three wives of 1522. There are aninfant school, and charities £4.

Newington Today

Village War Memorial